Monday, November 23, 2009

Hunter Mansion in Jeopardy




Recently I wrote about the TXI gravel pit (see here.) Tomorrow morning the Commisioners Court has allowed a (very) last minute open court meeting. I imagine it will be just as unproductive as the last meeting, but I've made an effort to contact local historical preservation societies in the hopes of saving at least part of the land.

Here's an edited copy of the e-mail I sent:
"Hello,

I live (where I live). A gravel company called TXI is attempting, for the ump-teenth time, to build a 786.5 acre gravel pit mine at (proposed address.) This massive gravel pit will surround my neighborhood on two sides and will apparently be tearing down the Hunter Mansion and graveyard.

My home, in particular, has a fabulous view of the historic mansion, it's remaining grounds, and graveyard. We had our home built this summer and specifically asked for the house to sit the way it does so that we may enjoy the beautiful view. One week after we moved in, there were signs and fliers all over the community about this gravel pit- our first notice aboout said project. Needless to say, it came as quite a shock.

My subdivision is just one of the many protesting the building of this pit. The proposed location covers the entirety of William Dunlap Hunter's plantation, as well as invading the space of a local Tree Farm and a functioning pecan grove. (The pecan grove also looks to be of historical significance with it's massive trees.) These 786.5 acres sit on the northern banks of the river, just eleven miles from downtown.

The site plan information is available here: https://www.ci.austin.tx.us/devreview/a_queryfolder_permits.jsp
CASE number SP-2008-0515D

We are asking for your help, or insight, in combatting TXI. There is a Commissioners Court open meeting this (date, time, address.)
I apologize about the short notice. We have only recently found out about this meeting ourselves, as the city officials have been quite dodgey about this ugly business.
Even if members of your organization are unable to attend, we would greatly appreciate any help or information you could provide on protecting the historical significance and beauty of our community.

Thank you!
(me and my contact info)"
-------------------------------------------------

I found the link about the mansion particularly interesting so I'll post it again: check it out.

-----------------------------------------------

1 comment:

Brandi@ Flights of Whimsy said...

I'm so glad you found out about this. I say fight fight fight! This place is beautiful and I hope the historical societies can use their connections to preserve it.