Tuesday, July 14, 2009

First Night In Our Own Place

Last night the title people dropped off our keys at the model home office in our neighborhood. I had gone back to the apartment for a load of goods- met my husband at the Winkler.

Had to make it official:
He carried me over the threshold.

(Apologies- my camera is still acting up, so the pictures are from a camera phone, and they were taken by my seven year old.)

Our To-Do List started with Stain Gard-ing the carpet and sealing the grout. We ran out of product for both projects, so today I bought more. Last night I also started on the painting.

My shirt has a turtle on it- and it says "Speed Kills," AND it glows in the dark! heeheehee (I bought it when I was 19.)

If I could start a new club, it would be the I Hate Painter's Tape Club. I only painted the 5 little angular walls that make up the refrigerator nook and pantry walls. I did the stop lines for the ceiling by hand and thought they looked darn good- until I got the idea that placing painters tape across the ceiling line would make my lines perfectly straight... I put the tape around the pantry door frame as well. BLARG! Once it was dry, and I removed the tape. To my horror, little tiny bits of paint had oozed under the tape, so my formerly pretty straight hand-done lines, now had many, many, many paint blobbies- all around the ceiling edge and actually on the caulking around the pantry door!

At this point I had already cleaned up my painting supplies and moved on to other chores- so I had to get the paint back out and the drop cloth and go back and do the lines again, making them go even higher than I had intended. poo.

At least it was just on the tiny walls. Now I've learned not to second guess my handiwork, so tonight's round of painting should run much smoother.

So, for now, the fridge nook and pantry corner are painted Gentle Fawn- the color of a warm cup of cocoa.

The fridge was delivered to our builder late today, so he'll install it early tomorrow. I plan on painting the dining room walls tonight. I went to Home Depot today and got a gallon of Behr's flat enamel paint in Neptune Blue570F-6. It's in the middle, one row up from the bottom. You can enlarge the image by clicking on it.


Well, it's back to packing!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are too funny! Love it!
-B

Brandi@ Flights of Whimsy said...

I would like to be a member of that club too! I started taping at the beggining as well but found that it was easier by hand. If you haven't already, there's a paint brush that's angled like a make-up brush that makes it sooo easy to do trim and corners by hand. You should definitely get several they are great. Can't wait to see the results!