Saturday, May 2, 2009

Paint and Inspirations

(click on pictures for a larger view)
I couldn't find any pictures where the rooms were structured like ours, but I did what I could. The Sherwin-Williams website has a cool feature where you can choose a room from their gallery, then change the paint colors. I also did a lot of looking through Google Images...

Living Room:
Our couches are light tan. I believe they are microfiber, but they look like they are made of corduroy. Technically, we have a couch and a love seat. The legs are made of dark wood, as are our coffee table and t.v. stand- although we've discussed putting those last two pieces in our 3rd bedroom. We own a very large dark wood bookcase, purchased on Craigslist for $25, but retails at Ikea for $279 (featured below.) The t.v. will go on the wall that faces the kitchen, the bookcase on the wall to the left. We may eventually go to Ikea for a second one if the wall space (and our budget) allows for it.
We also own a large painting of Starry Night, which I gave to my husband as a wedding gift nearly nine years ago. The colors are quite vibrant. I have an affinity for shades of blue, but he didn't want a blue living room, so we'll go with something in the brown family.


Kitchen/Dining:
When we first talked about it, we thought the wall with the stove on it would be a good accent wall. However, most of that wall is covered with cabinetry and the tile back-splash. Pretty much all you would be able to see is the area above the cabinets.
We both agreed that a deep wine red would be a great accent color. Then I went in the kitchen to make brownies and looked at my existing kitchen artwork. Our theme is Mexican-ish. I'm sort of particular-I like folk-art but want to keep it simple so it doesn't border on tacky. I have a large turquoise sun art piece hanging over my stove. The thought of turquoise against deep red sounds like an eye-sore. In my cabinet I have 3 colors of plates: brown, turquoise and navy. Navy sounded like a nice accent choice, and I decided that painting the window wall of the dining area might help define it a bit more, seeing as it's technically just an extension of the kitchen. The remaining wallspace will be the long wall of the kitchen (most of which is concealed,) a short space by the fridge, the angled wall of the pantry, and the surroundings of the back door. Should these all be painted, too? I could just leave them the cream color. I don't want everything to be too dark, but I also don't want every other wall to be painted. It needs to be cohesive.

This tan dining area looks nice, but I want a punch of color. When switched to navy, it's just beautiful! Our table is brown wood, and I think it'll tie nicely to the brown of the living room.

I love the pop of color under this cabinet, but I think that space in my kitchen will be completely covered in tile. Also, the kitchen/dining/living rooms are open to eachother and I don't want it to be too busy color-wise.
Our pantry wall is angled exactly like this one and I love the idea of chalkboard paint, but I think the black might clash with the navy dining and brown living walls. What I really want to do is get some Mexican tile and either frame out the pantry door, or tile that whole section of wall. Inspiration picture of a fireplace:

Master Bedroom:
We have a brown four-poster bed. Our bedding is mainly solid colors: brown or shades of blue. My night-table lamp is turquoise with a white shade. So I made this room in the Sherwin-Williams paint gadget and think it's just lovely.
We don't currently have any other bedroom furniture (due to our last move,) but I'd like to get some dressers and night stands to coordinate with our bed. Those things are sort of low on the priority list. I'd also like to get some rugs- for the whole house. I love how they look.

Both upstairs bathrooms are small, but I think we can make them beautiful with the right color choices. We threw out most of our towels when we moved last time. The ones we kept are all for the girls- bright shades of green and blue. We can do whatever we like in the master bath. We agreed that a chocolate brown would look nice. I don't think it'll make the space feel too small- there will be lots of white accents with the sink and our stand-up shower. Burnt orange looks nice, and they also mixed some burgundy towels in there. And if we get tired of orange, we can switch out the bath mat and towels for blue or green and still have the room look pulled together.

Girls' Rooms:
Their bath towels consist of the following: white with a turquoise accent at the edge, blocks of blues and greens, or stripes of blues and greens. The baby has a towel that is actually shaped like a puppy-dog. Their bath mat is white with a lime green border, surrounding a yellow dog and a blue cat. The shower curtain rings have the same dog and cat, but also include a white spotted dog and a purple kitty. They also have a lime green frog-shaped bath toy holder. I'll buy them a new shower curtain, but they already have just about everything else they need. We thought a purpley-blue would look pretty and youthful on the walls.


If anyone happens upon one of these robot head toilet paper holders- buy it for me! It also comes in yellow and blue (blue preferred.) I found it on a German website...
I absolutley loved their previous bedroom. My older daughter picked an under-the-sea mermaid theme and everything was either purple or turquoise (finding a pattern?) with pops of lime green. Their dresser and book shelf are both purple, their toy bins are either lavender or lime green. The walls in their old room were my favorite color, with a line of blue waves painted at the top, and the "sky" portion being a deep purple.

I plan on painting the walls pretty much the same this time around. We thought we'd also paint some sea creature canvases to hang.

We recently bought them this blue Ikea bed. It's not a full bunk- the top bed is only about 4 1/2 ft. from the floor. It's pictured without the bottom mattress, but we haven't bought one yet, so it's pretty accurate. Once we move we'll go through the process of switching our two year old to a regular bed. The only problem with this plan is that the bed must be disassembled to get it out the door and might not survive the move...This picture is sort of irrelevant to the girls current theme, but I LOVE the quilt and (given enough motivation) I could make a couple in the right colors for their bed.
I really like the white coral knobs on this dresser (who am I kidding, I love the whole dresser!) The knobs are from Anthropolgie and it therefore must be concluded that they cost 4.7 million dollars. I would love to win the lottery so I could add these to their purple dresser. They also have my dresser from my youth. At some point my mom painted it white and decoupaged it with pink and red and purple roses. It could use a little re-vamping (project-idea!)
Other Rooms:
The only rooms I haven't addressed are the powder room, and the front bedroom upstairs. I want to paint the powder room that wine color we talked about earlier, replace the mirror with something like this:and the sink with one of these beauties:I think red wine and navy will look great together in that space. Also, I want to get some painted/punched-tin accents like these:

Lastly, I'll address good old bedroom #3. It sits upstairs at the front of the house. We'll have to buy most everything for this room. The far wall will ideally have two black matching roll-top desks (or something similar to keep little hands out,) side by side- one for the computer, one for my crafting. The wall opposite the windows will have a nice futon or a small couch with a hide-away-bed. In front of the couch, a small black coffee table. This room will function as our office/guest room/playroom. The closet will house shelving for all the toys. The girls can use the coffee table as a play-table and lay on the couch to watch movies on the computer, but when they're done playing, everything goes back in the closet, close the doors, and it looks nice again. At least that's the idea...
____________________

So that's about it for our brainstorm session. I hope we have the finances and the follow-through to make these decorating dreams a reality! If you have anything you'd like to contribute, leave a comment!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That looks great! Spacify offers wide range of Dressers and Nightstands