Sunday, May 3, 2009

Stuff We "Need"

We're trying to determine what we need/want immediately upon move-in. Some of the things we'll buy brand-new, most we'll try to find on Craigslist, and some things we'll need to build ourselves.
Here is our current list:

toaster or toaster oven
Our old toaster was stainless steel and I want to avoid that smudgey nightmare. I think finding a blue one would be awesome,or black to match our appliances.

This orange one from Lowe's for $40 is also cool.This one has a toaster on top and the toaster oven beneath. That's inventive.My husband would prefer a toaster oven. I can't really find any in blue... but these would all look nice.

up-right freezer
The freezer will go in the kitchen, at the end of the counter/edge of dining room. Eventually I'd like to get an additional matching cabinet to hang over it to make it look like it belongs there. I'm not sire there's a cabinet over my fridge. On the blueprint it's listed as an upgrade, so I may have to get two of them.
mirror and sink for powder room (see my previous blog)

bar stools
We want 2-3 bar stools. They seem to have a huge price range: $60-$150 each. Our dining table is mission style, and I'd like the bar stools to match. The trouble lies in what color? Our dining table has a dark brown stain. The living room furniture is all black-brown. The area where the bar stools go is on the edge of the living room. Perhaps we should get the stools in black-brown so that they match the colors of the room they sit in, but the style of the dining furniture just a few feet away. What do you think?

curtains throughout
Target has pretty good prices. Target had their panels 2 for $20. I think we'd need eight of them to do what I have planned. I want matching floor length curtains in the living and dining, tan with a chocolate brown band the bottom. I also think we should do that thing where the curtain rod extends a foot or so past the window on either side so that the window appears larger, especially with the living room being painted a dark color. Plus we need one panel for the foyer window. I may just make them myself. I need to check the fabric store. We need curtain rods, about $30 each. Or we could do Roman Shades. My husband likes them and they're about $34 each.
These drapes are from Pottery Barn. Way more than I want to spend, but the right look. I want a sleeve at the top instead of grommets- especially if I end up making them myself.

Ikea mattress for the wee one
This is, of course, assuming, their bed frame survives the disassemble/reassemble process. towels/bath mat for master bath
deep orange, chocolate brown, maybe a cream color $6-$10 each

I also dig these from World Market:
Floral Chestnut Turkish Cotton Bath Towels


$4.99 - $8.99


Mexican tiles
I want to do a frame around the pantry and also a "chair rail" in the entry out of Mexican tiles. I don't know the dimensions of the pantry door, but I measured my apartment's front door. It would require 55 tiles. I also don't know the length of the foyer. There are a lot openings in the wall for closets and such, but I think I'll need about 35 tiles. I'll do true measurements once the house is actually there... That's a guessing total of 90 tiles. 4x4 tiles are about $1.50-$2.50 each, and discounts are given on boxes of 90. Low end, this project would be about $150 (frowny face.) I'll want to shop around for the very best deal.
We also want to do our house numbers with the Mexican tiles. You can buy a little frame for them and hang it on the house. We also want some sort of exterior art piece to hang on the stone between the two windows on the front of the house.

futon or small couch with hide-away bed
for guest room. we haven't discussed a color scheme.

2 desks
We need two desks to go side by side in our office/guestroom/playroom. One for the computer, one for my sewing things.
This one is the ALVE secretary desk from Ikea ($199 each.) I prefer for the bottom of it to be enclosed so there aren't wires poking out and the baby won't be able to turn the computer on and off. We also need a lot of storage space.
At Walmart I stumbled upon a cool cabinet, so now I'm looking into "computer armoires." I need to be sure that the ones we select can support a sewing machine. Maybe I can find a craft armoire, too?

rugs
I love how rugs look- like artwork for the floor. I definitely want one in the living room. I'd like it to be at least 6x8. I want the color to compliment the living room and dining room walls, in addition to our painting. This is the 6x9 Blue/Brown Striped Chindi cotton Rug 401061 from World Market for $139:Rugs are so expensive. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this wool one from Rugstudio.com, but it's a thousand dollars for the 7x9! The colors are so beautiful and it would look fabulous with our painting.
I waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant it!

coffee table and end table
We have a couple of options with our existing furniture. We have a coffee table for the living room- but I want an end table, too. We can get a matching one at Ikea. OR we can put our coffee table in the playroom upstairs and get a new coffee/end table set for the living room.

lawnmower
We might have a seller for this item.

tall ladder

paint/supplies
Have any leftover paint?
I need small quantities of these colors: burnt red, chocolate brown, purpley blue, and purple.
And at least one can each of a basic brown, navy blue, light blue/turquoise, and a dusty blue.

nail gun


recording equipment

t.v.
We'll look on Craigslist for a flat-screen HD t.v.

supplies for building a bunny hutch


supplies for building a raised flower bed
I'd like to build a raised flower bed in the backyard, to run the length of the fence along the street. I want to put a trellis on the fence itself, and plant climbing things like honey-suckle and orange trumpets. I want it to be butterfly friendly, but minimize the amount of bees we'd get. I actually want to do two beds on that fence. The other bed would be for a small produce garden: basil, rosemary, strawberries, some sort of vegetable, etc. I also want to put a lot of bird houses on posts in the garden. I just have to make sure they won't eat my veggies. And we definitely want some humming bird feeders!

grill or chiminea or fire pit
I saw a fire pit today that comes with a grill for cooking, a bucket insert so you could fill it with ice and cold drinks, and a dome lid. We'll need to clear a space for it in the yard- we didn't add the patio up-grade. Eventually we'd like to lay a small stone patio.

black flat-backed kitchen trash can
I don't care if it has a lid- I probably won't use it. Our trash can will sit at the end of the island near the dining area. I want it to sit flush with the island.

1 or 2 outdoor garbage cans

fire extenguishers

supplies for dog run
We thought a chain link dog run would be easy to do along the side of the house, but it needs to be shaded and protected from the rain. This presents a problem in that adding a roof or awning over the side would be visible from the street and therefore subject to HOA approval. Building a wooden dog run like this would probably be less of a hassle.

___________________________
If you have any similar items that you are looking to get rid of, please let us know!

No comments: